As you may be aware, St. John’s University’s Manhattan Campus, including the Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Library, will be relocating to 101 Astor Place (aka 51 Astor Place building).
The Library’s space at Astor Place is brand new but also limited. To fit most of our resources in the new space, we must rearrange our entire 112-year-old collection. As we reorganize, we will also be taking the opportunity to reevaluate the Library’s services, procedures, and operating costs. As a result, the Davis Library will be closed to students, faculty, members and the general public from May 15th to August 3rd, 2014. Limited access and services will be provided only to students and faculty participating in summer classes at the new Manhattan Campus.
Please note the following changes related to our relocation:
· A small part of the collection will be sent to an off-site facility.
· Most of the collection will be transferred to the new location and distributed between the 2nd and concourse floors of the new campus.
· The 2nd floor will be the public access area, with open stacks; the concourse area will be closed to the public and accessible only by staff. Most frequently used resources will be located on the 2nd floor. The rest will be in the concourse, including the journals/magazines, the historical collection, the Archives and rare books, and the subject files. All realia will also be in the concourse.
· As of today, the Davis Library has temporarily suspended new memberships or renewals as we evaluate this part of our public service operations. Any changes to our membership policy will be announce early this fall.
· Memberships that expire after May 14, 2014, a three month extension will be granted at no additional cost once we reopen.
· Our new address will be:
101 Astor Place
New York, NY 10003
· Send mail to our new location only after June 16, 2014.
Books on Loan, OCLC Requests and Donations.
· Please do not send books or OCLC requests to the Library between May 12 and June 16. After June 16, send borrowed books, OCLC requests, or donations to our new address at 101 Astor Place.
· No fines or overdue charges will be levied during this period.
· Telephone and fax numbers will remain the same.
The staff and Library’s email will remain the same.
· Ismael Rivera-Sierra (email@example.com)
· Richard Waller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Galina Spicehandler (email@example.com)
· Andrew Seville (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Davis Library (email@example.com)
· During our reorganization, we expect to post more than 25,000 holdings to OCLC. Currently less than 15% of the Library’s holdings appears on OCLC. We estimate that in the future there will remain an additional 20,000 titles that will require posting to OCLC.
· We expect to add to our online catalog approximately 15,000 analytical records of articles published in journals, magazines, books, and proceedings. Currently our online catalog contains 36,500 analytical records from sources dating back to the 1880’s.