Tags

,

policy_box01_010 hand in hand

Thomas Lowfield, Esq., of the City of Bath, purchased an insurance policy from the “Amicable Contributorship or Society commonly called the Hand in Hand Office” on November 22, 1782. The policy insured two buildings against being “burnt down, blown up, or demolished by or by reason or means of fire.” One building was brick and one was timber, valued at 200 pounds each, “situate on the east side of St. Margaret’s [?], in the Parish of St. Saviour Southwark, being the second house southward from the Talbot Inn …for the term of seven years from the date hereof…” At the top of the document is an engraving of the Hand-in-Hand emblem, depicting two hands clasping with a crown above.policy_box01_010

Advertisements